CHARLOTTE (CHARLOTTE SPORTS LIVE) — Charlotte FC’s head coach will be in the Queen City a little longer.
On Thursday, the club announced head coach Dean Smith signed a new contract through the 2027 MLS season.
“I’ve thoroughly enjoyed being the head coach of Charlotte FC and I’m honored to sign a new contract with the Club,” Smith said. “Everyone at the Club is aligned in our vision to be a leader in Major League Soccer. To our supporters, you have made our family feel welcome in this city and for that, we’re grateful to each one of you. We will work together with the aim of consistently challenging for major trophies every season.”
Instilling belief, high standards and teaching us that togetherness triumphs.
We can’t wait for everything still to come 🫡 pic.twitter.com/YzaymxEYNR
— Charlotte FC (@CharlotteFC) March 20, 2025
Smith was hired as the team’s head coach in December 2023. In his first season with the club, he led the Crown to its record points total (41) and first-ever playoff win. A huge part of his successful first season was defense (MLS’s second-best defensive record) and goalkeeper Kristijan Kahlina who earned MLS Goalkeeper of the Year honors.
“Dean has been an exceptional leader for Charlotte FC and we are excited for him to sign a new contract,” Owner David Tepper said. “The Club’s success over the past year is a reflection of his dedication and commitment to excellence both on and off the pitch. We look forward to what the future holds with Dean leading the way.”
So far in his 2nd season, Charlotte FC is off to its best start in club history and has not been beaten at home. The team will look to keep that streak alive against the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.